These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar… If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
There are times in our lives that we wish we could just settle in and hold on to the moment forever, and there are also times that we wish we could return to some past moment in our lives – “the good old days.” Maybe is was a place we lived, a former job, a church that we loved, or a memory of a time when we were more content emotionally or spiritually.
But faith is always future oriented.
If we’re going to walk in faith and go with God, we can’t stay where we are or go back. We must set our hope on the future, trusting that God has a much better life than what we are experiencing now. Many “heroes of faith” never experienced a comfortable life and I’m sure they sometimes wished they could go back to the good old days. But their focus was always on the future and that’s what they worked toward. They never turned back because they realized that even though things might not get better in this life, God’s promise is for a glorious life beyond the grave. Even though we might remember better times, the best times are still to come if we keep walking in faith.
News & Events:
– Prayers go out this week for Barb H. & Julie D. and their families. Both ladies have had an aunt pass away and will be attending funerals.
– You’re invited to provide feedback/ideas on a way to bless the Tucker family as they deal with Emma’s health issue. If you’d like to participate in a church luncheon at their restaurant or have other ideas please let me know.
– New Monday evening Lifegroup begins at Dorsey’s on Monday Feb. 11, 7:00 PM.
– Check out the new, easier to find church website address armstrongbiblechapel.com
Thurs morning Ladies group begins a new Beth Moore study next week (Feb. 7)
Thurs. evening Lifegroup 7:30 @ Snider’s in Armstrong, BC
Sunday Feb. 3 – 9:00 AM breakfast at the church. Prepared courtesy of the Wed. evening Caregroup.
– 9:30 AM AGM, followed by worship service @ 10:30.
– 12;30 – 2:30 Free Family skate @ Norval Arena
– 3:00(ish) Super Bowl party @ Jeral & Leanne Krahn’s.
Sunday Feb. 10 – Manor services, Armstrong.
Monday Feb. 18 – YoungLife Dessert fundraiser, Armstrong
Friday March 1 – World Day of Prayer. Volunteers needed for hosting (see Julie or Pastor Wayne).