Community, a Quality of the Heart
The word community has many connotations, some positive, some negative. Community can make us think of a safe togetherness, shared meals, common goals, and joyful celebrations. It also can call forth images of sectarian exclusivity, in-group language, self-satisfied isolation, and romantic naiveté.
However, community is first of all a quality of the heart. It grows from the spiritual knowledge that we are alive not for ourselves but for one another. Community is the fruit of our capacity to make the interests of others more important than our own. The question, therefore, is not “How can we make community?” but “How can we develop and nurture giving hearts?”
“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” Phil. 2:3-4
From Daily Meditations, by Henri Nouwen
News & Events
- Sunday Jan. 26 AGM. 9:00 – 9:30AM continental style breakfast
- 9:30-10:15AM Business mtg.
- All members and non-members are encouraged to attend.
- Fri. Jan. 31: 7:00 PM Games night @ the church, bring a snack & a freind.
- Sunday Feb. 2: Gospel music Sunday. (If you have any special song requests please see Julie by Jan 28)
- Sunday Feb. 2: 12:30-2:30 PM Free public skating @ Norval Arena, sponsored by ABC
- Thursdays 7:30PM: The Truth Project. Beginning Feb. 6 @ the church.
- Mondays 7:00 PM: Ladies Lifegroup @ the church.
- Wednesdays: Men’s coffee time 9:30 AM @ the Leaf & Bean.
Mission Trip opportunity: Anyone interested in going to High River in Feb. to assist MDS in reconstruction work please contact Brad Konrad @ 250-309-8594, email email@example.com.
If you have any announcements to share with the church family please call or email myself or Barb at the church office.
Armstrong Bible Chapel
2145 Rosedale Ave.
Armstrong BC V0E1B1